You might have attended Vitaly’s workshop at the previous UX Salon? Ready for the new challenges? In this entirely revamped workshop, Vitaly Friedman (co-found and creative director of Smashing Magazine), will cover practical techniques, clever tricks and useful strategies you need to be aware of when working on responsive interface design today.
You can figure out how to make a decent responsive accordion. Or a responsive table. Or a drop-down-navigation, or a carousel. But what about something slightly more complicated? How would you go around designing a responsive theatre seat selector? What about an advanced feature comparison table? What about a multi-channel multi-time-zones TV guide? An election dashboard or a live soccer coverage? In this workshop, we’ll be spending an entire day drawing and designing responsive interfaces. As a result, you’ll leave with a toolbox of practical strategies and techniques for improving clarity of your UI and maximizing revenue as a result.
The workshop is intended for intermediate/advanced designers and developers who have an understanding of responsive design and how it works.
Most techniques are borrowed from mid-size and large-scale real-life projects, such as large eCommerce projects, online magazines and web applications. We won’t cover the basics, instead, the workshop covers more advanced — and often obscure and innovative techniques.
WHAT WILL THE WORKSHOP COVER?
In this workshop, we’ll go hands-on into exploring:
– Responsive art direction techniques and advanced layouts, with many inspiring and memorable examples,
– Navigation, with mega-drop-downs, breadcrumbs, carousels, accordion and filters,
– Builders, with a car configurator and mobile plan builder,
– Forms, with email verification, password input, country selector, privacy issues, sliders and public transportation, and a banking transaction UI,
– Date pickers, date range picker and a time picker, incl. booking an appointment and booking an airline ticket,
– Tables, with a feature comparison table, currency exchange calculator, pricing plans,
– Search, with autocomplete, filters, search results,
– Calendars, with a multi-track schedule, TV Guide schedule, music festival schedule, exhibition calendar, spreadsheets and dashboard,
– Audio/Video, with a video player UI and audio-based input,
– Maps / Data Visualization, with a shopping mall map, election map, smart region input.
– Timelines, with a historical timelines, soccer game signature and live leaderboard and standings,
– Real-time experience with betting UI for soccer, poker and live video streaming,
– Footnotes and sidenotes in magazine articles,
– Seat selection, for a concert/theatre/exhibition and a perfect airplane check-in,
– Responsive PDF for documents and restaurant menus,
– Responsive upscaling, with eCommerce experience on large screens and article layout on large screens,
– Design anti-patterns to avoid to prevent running into maintenance issues and “slow UX decay”.
WHAT HARDWARE/SOFTWARE DO YOU NEED?
You’ll need to bring a lot of creativity with your preferred coffee mug. We’ll be spending a lot of time drawing, sketching, designing and thinking. Laptop is preferred but not absolutely necessary. You’ll need a lot of sleep reserves since it’s going to be a packed day. Bring a lot of attention to detail and non-standard thinking to this one!